Why should we take care of our bodies? Aside from decreasing the risks of infections, cardiovascular diseases, cancer, diabetes, stroke, the Bible commands us to do so.
1. Your body is holy
1 Corinthians 6:19
The bible says that we are the temples of the Holy Spirit. The temples in the old testament were so holy that the priests have to be pure so that they are not consumed in God’s holiness. The same temple is your body today. It’s that holy.
2. Your body was bought with a price
John 8:34 says that everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin. But we were bought at a price by Jesus’ death (1 Corinthians 6:20). Therefore we shouldn’t live like slaves anymore. It’s like being freed from slavery but going back to it. Jesus purchased us (original word agorazzo) to be his property, not to live as free men to do whatever we want.
Irresponsible ways to live:
- Skipping breakfast – breakfast is the most important meal because it breaks the fast from not eating the night before
- Too much TV, games, social media – results to lack of sleep, depression from social media consumption
- Physical inactivity – vigorous exercise of 30 minutes per day, three times per week
- Eating snacks when not hungry – basically, it’s eating when you don’t need it.
- Little or no sleep – the body needs rest to regenerate